ell me, is there anything better than a warm buttered biscuit in the morning? The answer is no. Unless you're not gluten-free and can have a warm croissant. This I shall make an exception for. But, I would get rather sick eating the croissant and I have yet to experience that flakiness of a gluten-free croissant so gluten-free biscuits will do the trick for me. And trust me, gluten-free biscuits do. They are perfectly flavourful with an excellent proportion of butter, milkiness, and flakiness. I ate them for breakfast for two weeks straight (I had to make a few batches) and I regret nothing. Before you judge, I'm going to go ahead and skip to the gluten-free biscuits recipe.
Gluten-Free Biscuit Ingredients
Original Recipe Via The Cafe Sucre Farine – adapted to be gluten-free
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp for brushing on the finished biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour + more for dusting
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
Gluten-Free Biscuit Instructions
- Place 1 cup of buttermilk into freezer for 10-minutes
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper (optional – I never have to with my Caraway baking sheets)
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F
- Melt 8 tbsp of butter in a microwave safe bowl (don’t burn it, don’t let it explode! Start with 30 seconds, and then heat it 10-seconds at a time until the butter is melted)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter to the buttermilk that’s been freezing for 10-minutes. Stir with a fork until the butter has formed small clumps.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix using a spatula until it is just combined.
- Flour your counter and knead the dough 5-6 times unitl it comes together nicely. Pat down until it is 1/5-2 inches high.
- You can use a biscuit cutter but I just used my knife and cut the biscuits into triangles, placing them onto the baking sheet 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or once a golden brown top has been reached.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter and brush the biscuits.
- Serve warm!
Leave a Reply