Everyone needs a hug when you get into the depths of fall with winter looming, right?! Well, I can’t quite give you all a hug. But the best I can do is give you the ultimate hug in a bowl recipe with this gluten-free mac and cheese. This mac and cheese has four kinds of cheese – because that’s a necessity – plus some broccoli – because we’re pretending to be healthy, and some sausages if you want. Gluten-free mac and cheese is that warm comfort food that some nights you just need. I should also mention that this gluten-free mac and cheese recipe is super easy (especially if you put in the prep work in advance) to make. Whether you’re seeking an easy weeknight meal or a weekend bowl of warmth, I have your back with this gluten-free mac and cheese recipe.
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
- 1 box gluten-free macaroni noodles
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/4 milk or light cream
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups cheddar grated (1 white – aged 1 sharp orange)
- 1 cup Gruyere
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 link farmers sausage sliced thinly (optional)
1. In a pasta pot, boil salted water and make macaroni as per box instructions.
2. As your pasta water is boiling/pasta is looking, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Once it’s melted, add onions and brown them lightly.
3. Add salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne, and garlic salt to your butter and onions.
4. Remove a little bit of of the butter mixture and let cool a bit then add flour and a little bit of the milk. Stir until no lumps remain. Add the rest of the milk and stir until well combined (with no lumps).
5. Add your milk/butter/flour mixture back to the pot. Add your cheese and stir until melted and combined with the milk mixture.
6. Add broccoli and sausage and stir.
7. Add to noodles. Let sit for 5 minutes. And EAT.
Option to top with bread crumbs and broil on high for 2-5 minutes.