How to Chop an Onion
This deserves it’s own post. Some of you are totally rolling your eyes at me wondering why I am here teaching you how to chop an onion. If you’re one of those people, I apologize and suggest you find yourself a delicious recipe, perhaps a cocktail or a pasta, and move on from this post. If you’re one of those people who are truly here to understand how to chop an onion, and I know there are lots of you, then I’m glad you’ve made it. And I’m here to help.
My method for how to chop an onion is pretty awesome. I shouldn’t say it’s my method – it’s someone’s method that I’ve learned along the way. I’m certain there is a Wikipedia article about it that I am too lazy to track down for you. It doesn’t matter, what matters is that if you’re not chopping your onions this way already, this will be life-changing for you. The idea is that the onion easily stays together while you’re chopping it. It’s basically a controlled onion chopping environment which is ideal.
If you’re here to learn how to chop an onion without crying, I’ve heard these onion goggles work. Not only will you look pretty unreal but you’ll also be protecting those pretty eyes of yours. Okay, so onion goggles to chop an onion without crying, and now let’s get into how to chop and onion in general.
How to Chop an Onion and not be frustrated
+ cutting board
+ sharp knife
+ onion goggles (optional – only to prevent crying!!!)
- Half your onions. Make sure you’re keeping the “butt” of the onion on each half as pictured above. This is KEY to keeping the onion in place to be able to chop it well.
- Slice the one “loose” side (NOT the butt) off and peel back the skin/paper (whatever you want to call it) on each half.
- Start with long thing slices towards the butt of the onion (I need a better name for this, right?!). Keeping the butt and slicing towards it but not through it will allow you to keep the rest of the onion in place.
- Now make thin perpendicular cuts to your long cuts (see below for an image) and you will get beautiful, evenly sliced onion chops! Repeat this until you reach the onion butt as pictured to the right.
- Voila! The easiest way to chop an onion that keeps it in place and allows you to get the most even cuts possible.
Leave a Reply